The best air fryer, shaved brussels sprouts recipe!
Most people want to gag when they hear the words brussels sprouts. Not me though! I could eat them every day. They are like baby cabbages but better. I decided, I want to try and shave them. So I came up with this roasted air fryer, shaved brussels sprouts, bacon and pearl onion recipe! Just typing this post up, is making me hungry!
Did you know that brussels sprouts are in only 38 calories per serving? They are rich in antioxidants and vitamin k. Also, they are packed with fiber, potassium and omega-3 fatty acids! Additionally, brussels help maintain blood pressure and could even help fight against cancer. If that does not convince you to start eating them, just remember, there is bacon in this recipe, of course bacon makes everything better! Therefore, eat your brussels sprouts! Ready for this roasted air fryer shaved brussels sprouts with pearl onions and bacon recipe?
Lets start prepping the brussels sprouts, what do we need?
This recipe requires minimal ingredients and yet it’s packed with flavor! You most likely already have more then half of the ingredients in your pantry.
- Brussels sprouts
- Pearl onions
- Applewood bacon
- Pepper fresh cracked
- Garlic powder
- Red pepper flakes
- Olive oil
Pre heat oven to 400 degrees. Clean and remove any brown leaves on the brussels sprouts. Cut the ends off and discard, then cut them in half. Using either a mandoline or a knife, shave the sprouts as thin as you can get them! Undoubtedly, please be carful not to cut yourself if using a mandoline, I suggest using a pair of thick kitchen gloves! Repeat this step with the pearl onions. Place brussels sprout and onions into a bowl and set aside.
Line a baking sheet with foil. Place the bacon slices on the sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until bacon gets crispy. Mix dry ingredients and olive oil in with the brussels sprouts and onions and toss well. Once the bacon is done, pour the bacon grease into the brussels sprouts mixture and toss well.
Place the shaved brussels sprouts onto your air fryer tray. Pre heat air fryer to 400 degrees and cook for 30 minutes or until crispy. Chop the bacon slices small. Add to the shaved brussels sprouts and toss. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Finally, serve and enjoy! Try my green bean and bacon recipe as well!
Air fryer brussels sprout tips
Toss brussels sprouts during cooking process at least twice to try and get a more crispy cook throughout.
Alternatively, if you still can’t stand the thought of brussels sprouts, you can shave cabbage instead, it will be just as delicious!
Absolutely not! You can use turkey bacon, or no bacon at all. However, you will need to add 2 more tbsp of olive oil if you choose not to use pork bacon.
You sure can! If you don’t not have a convection oven, they may not turn out as crispy.
Air fryer brussels sprouts with bacon
- Air fryer
- mandoline optional
- 1 pound brussels sprouts fresh
- 8 oz pearl onions pealed
- 5 slices applewood bacon chopped small
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper fresh cracked
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees. Start by trimming and cleaning the brussels sprouts. Remove hard ends and any brown leaves and disgard.
- Using either a mandoline or a super sharp knife, shave or cut the brussels sprouts as thin as possible.
- Peal the skins off of the pearl onions and discard.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the onions in half then slice as thin as possible. I do not recommend using a mandoline for the onions.
- Place bacon on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until crispy. Chop bacon up small and set aside.
- Mix all ingredients into a bowl except the bacon and toss well until everyrhing is well combined.
- Place brussels sprout mixture into your air fryer at 400 degrees. Cook for 30 mins or until brussels sprouts are crisp.
- Mix the bacon in ans cook for another 5 minutes. Serve immediately and enjoy!