What bacon should I use?
I am a huge bacon lover! I could put bacon on almost anything. So which is the best bacon to use for this oven roasted green beans and bacon with pearl onions recipe? I personally love either thick cut apple wood bacon or thick cut pecan bacon. These are two of my favorite bacons flavors. I will say, pecan bacon would be my first choice, but it is hard to find. I know one place that sells it, and they are about an hour from me. So here I used apple wood, can’t find either? Cherry wood is also amazing with this side dish. I have used all three in this recipe and all have turned out absolutely amazing!
Prepping your green beans and bacon
- Apple wood smoked bacon thick cut
- Pearl onions pealed
- Green beans trimmed
- Garlic cloves minced
- Italian seasoning
- Red pepper flakes
Lets get ready to make the best oven roasted green beans and bacon with pearl onions! Pre heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil. Place your bacon slices on the sheet pan and bake in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until bacon is crispy. Bring a medium sauce pot with water to a boil. While bacon is cooking and water is heating up, cut the stem ends off of the green beans and wash the beans. Cut the ends of the pearl onions and remove the skins. Place the onions into the boiling water and boil for 10 minutes. Remove from water.
Once bacon is done, remove from the oven and chop bacon into small pieces, place back onto the sheet pan and add the onions, green beans, garlic and all the dried ingredients together and toss. Make sure everything is tossed together well and the bacon grease and seasoning is coating everything evenly. Cook green beans and bacon for 30 to 40 minutes depending how you like your green beans cooked. I love mine with a sight crunch, if you would prefer a little more done, simply keep them in the oven for another 10 minutes or so, keep checking often as green beans can over cook quick. Serve and enjoy this oven roasted green beans and bacon recipe!
Is there a healthier option for this green bean and bacon recipe?
Absolutely! Whether you eat pork or not, or need a more healthy option, there are two other substitutes for this side dish. Obviously, you can switch out the pork bacon for beef bacon, but what about another alternative? Instead of pork or beef bacon, you can use turkey bacon. However, if you use turkey bacon, you will need to use some sort of oil to mix with everything as turkey bacon does not produce enough grease. In fact, you will want to mix the turkey bacon with everything first and cook it all together at once. Want more side dishes? click here!
Green beans with bacon and pearl onions
- 6 slices apple wood smoked bacon thick cut
- 8 oz pearl onions pealed
- 1.5 pounds green beans trimmed
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 cups water
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees. Place bacon slices on a sheet pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until crispy. Remove from oven and let cool. Meanwhile, trim the fresh green beans removing the stems, wash and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, boil 4 cups of water over high heat. Cut ends of the pearl onions off and remove the skins. Boil onions for 10 minutes, drain nd set aside.
- Chop up bacon and return to the sheet pan, add pearl onions, fresh green beans, garlic and dry ingredients and toss well until everything is coated. Place into to oven and cook for 30 to 40 minutes. Serve and enjoy!