This lemon chicken with rice recipe is super easy to make and clean up is a breeze!
Craving a lemon chicken and rice dish? Look no further then here! This one pan baked lemon chicken with rice recipe is fool proof, super easy to make, and clean up is an absolute breeze! This recipes is packed with citrus and fresh herb flavors that your taste buds will be jumping over! Did I mention its healthy? Excited? You should be!
One pan baked lemon chicken with rice recipe
Let’s get started already im hungry!
- Chicken thighs skin on
- Long grain rice
- Lemon sliced
- Rosemary sprigs
- Thyme sprigs
- Cayenne pepper
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Olive oil
- Better than chicken bouillon paste
Let’s start by prepping everything for the lemon chicken. First, the seasoning rub for the chicken. Super simple, measure all the dry ingredients and place them into a small bowl. Mix well.
Sprinkle the mixture a little at a time, rubbing the mixture into the meat. Rub mixture on top of the skin as well as under the skin.
Secondly, let’s get that rice rinsed off. Using a fine mesh strainer, rinse and toss the rice until the water runs clear. Slice the lemon into 5 even slices, make sure they are the same size. Last but not least, chop up and clean the kale.
Searing the chicken thighs
For a nice crispy skin, you want to heat your skillet super hot. IMPORTANT! Make sure you use an oven safe non stick skillet. A well seasoned cast iron will also work. I personally used my new hexcald pan! If you aren’t aware of what hexclad is, I suggest checking them out, they are hands down the best pots and pans I have ever had. Enough rambling about my pots and pans and back to cooking this yummy one pan baked lemon chicken and rice recipe!
Heat oil in a non stick skillet or well seasoned cast iron skillet over high heat. Make sure that pan is piping hot! Place thighs into the hot pan skin side down first. Sear for 2 to 2.5 minutes and flip. Sear for an additional 2 to 2.5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Just look at the beautiful sear! Nothing is better then crispy chicken skins! Absolutely delicious! I cant wait until you bite into this lemon chicken and rice!
Lets get that lemon chicken and rice in the oven already!
Now pour the rice into the same pan. Do not clean the pan first! You want any crispy chicken bits of goodness that are in the pan, that’s more flavor of course! Pour in the water, and the better then chicken bouillon, stir until the paste melts. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from the heat. Stir in the kale.
Place the chicken back into the pan, top each thigh with the lemon slices, rosemary and thyme and cover. Place into the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken reads 165 degrees on a meat thermometer. Remove the lid from the chicken and rice. Turn your broiler on high, place under the broiler for 5 minutes to crisp that skin back up!
Look how beautiful this one pan baked lemon chicken and rice recipe turned out! I’m currently drooling! Finally, serve with your favorite vegetable and enjoy! Looking for more dinner ideas? Click here!
Bake lemon chicken with rice tips
Want more lemon flavor? Add some lemon zest!
Having trouble finding better then chicken bouillon? No problem! You can use chicken broth or chicken bouillon cubes.
Not a fan of chicken skin? Simply get skinless chicken thighs instead.
Store in refrigerator for up to 3 days
Freeze for up to 3 months, reheat in the oven until warmed through.
Absolutely! You may have to adjust the cooking time because brown rice takes longer to cook. Simply boil on the stove a little longer before placing in the oven.
Yes! In fact, I think this dish would be just as delicious with chicken breast!
Of course! I personally think salmon would be the perfect substitute. However, you will have to adjust the cooking time. Put the salmon in the pan the last 15 minutes of baking.
Baked lemon chicken with rice
- 5 chicken thighs skin on
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 1 lemon sliced
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 1/2 cup kale chopped
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp sage
- 1/2 salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 4 tsp better than chicken bouillon paste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Rinse the rice until water runs clear and set aside. Slice the lemon, you want at least 5 equal sized lemon rounds. Chop and wash the kale.
- Add all dry ingredients into a small bowl. Rub mixture into the chicken, including under the skin.
- Preheat a large, deep, oven safe non stick skillet over high heat. Add in olive oil. Cook chicken thighs top side down first, for 2.5 minutes. Flip and cook for another 2.5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. Redice heat to medium high
- In the same pan, add in rice, water and the better than chicken bouillon. Stir around until the better than bouillon paste has disolved. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, remove from heat, toss in the kale and stir. Place chicken back into the skillet skin side up Place 1 lemon slice over the top of each chicken thigh. Toss the roasemary and thyme over the top and cover. Place into the oven for 30 minutes or until rice is tender and the chickens internal temp reads 165 degrees.
- Lite broiler on high. Place pan under the broiler for 5 minutes to crisp the skin back up. Serve with your favorite vegetable and enjoy!