What type of roast beef do I use?
This left over roast beef sandwich recipe is so delicious and so easy to make. It’s a simple yet mouth-watering sandwich that requires very few ingredients. I used a left over bottom round roast that I sous vide the night before. If you have not seen my previous posts on the sous vide method, click here. However, you can use this sandwich recipe with a roast that was simply roasted in the oven or even smoked! I do not recommend lunch roast beef with this recipe because, well let’s face it, lunch meat does not compare to the real thing. If you would like my recipe on the roast I used, you can find that recipe by clicking here! Below is a photo of the beautiful roast that made this awesome left over roast beef sandwich recipe!
It only takes roughly 25 mins to make this sandwich depending on how you eat it. I ate mine cold so it was quick and easy. If you want to reheat it, reheat the remaining roast before slicing it. You can do this sous vide method or in the oven at 250° for about an hour and a half or until internal temp reaches 120 degrees.
What goes on the roast beef sandwich?
Very few ingredients go on this simple but delicious roast beef sandwich. Of course if you would like more on your sandwich, you can add whatever you would like. I found it delicious just the way it is.
- left over roast beef thinly sliced
- red onion
- arugula divided
- hamburger buns
- olive oil
- sour cream
- horseradish mustard
- smoked paprika
- green onions chopped
Slice the remaining roast super thin. I used a deli slicer, if you do not own a deli slicer, a super sharp knife will work just fine. Chop your onion as well as add the sour cream, horseradish mustard, smoked paprika and thinly chopped green onions into a bowl, mix well and set aside. Most important, chop the onions to form rings, this will be less sloppy to eat as you will have less onion pieces falling off your sandwich. Toast the buns inside down in a cast iron skillet over medium heat until golden brown. Build that sandwich! Use a hefty amount of creamy horseradish on each piece of your bun. Lay arugula down on the bottom bun, then build up that amazing roast beef, then add your onions and finally the top bun. Enjoy!
See my other amazing roast beef sandwich here!
Leftover roast beef sandwich
- 1 pound left over roast beef thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 cup arugula divided
- 2 hamburger buns
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp horseradish mustard
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp green onions chopped
- Slice your left over roast beef as thin as possible. Cut your red onion in half. Make sure you cut the onion so it forms onion rings. Heat oil over medium high heat in a sauce pan. Add in the onions and cook on medium high for 5 minutes stiring constanly. Turn heat down to medium and cook for an additional 15 minutes stirring often.
- While onions are cooking, make the creamy horsersdish sauce. Cut green onions as thin as possible and add to a bowl. Add in sour cream, horseradish mustard and smoked paprika and stir until well combined.
- Time to build your sandwich. Put a heafty amount of sauce on both the bottom and top bun. Place arugula on bottom bun. Then stack the meat up. Finally top with half of the onions. Serve and enjoy!