What shrimp to use
You would definitely want to get raw shrimp that has already been deveined and shell removed for this delicious, creamy tomato basil shrimp alfredo recipe. This makes the process so much more quick without having to devein yourself. Besides, let’s face it, cleaning out the shrimps digestive track is pretty disgusting. I used frozen shrimp here, but you can use fresh if you wish. I also used very small shrimp instead of large or jumbo. They were a little bigger then salad shrimp. However, you can use whichever size you prefer.
Is there an alternative option if I cannot have cream in my tomato basil shrimp alfredo dish and will it still have a creamy consistency? There sure is! You can easily substitute the heavy whipping cream for coconut milk! If it just so happens you cannot consume coconut milk, you can also use almond milk. Need a healthier option for the pasta? You can try wheat pasta. There are also pasta products made from chickpeas or even lentils that you can substitute and they taste great!
Tomato basil shrimp alfredo ingredients
- Shrimp pealed and deveined
- Thin spaghetti
- Salt for pasta water
- Salt for sauce
- Garlic cloves minced
- Red bell pepper minced
- Fresh basil chopped
- Butter unsalted
- Red pepper flakes
- Italian seasoning
- Onion powder
- Parmesan cheese grated
- Heavy cream
- Tomato paste
- Pasta water
- Fresh chopped curly parsley for garnish
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese for garnish
- Fresh lemon slices for garnish
Let’s prepare this simple delicious shrimp pasta dish! Firstly, start by bringing a large pot of salted water to a boil. You then want to cook the pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a separate pot, melt butter over medium high heat and add in the fresh garlic, red pepper flakes, basil, all dried ingredients and the shrimp. Cook shrimp 2 to 3 minutes per side depending on the size of your shrimp. Remove the shrimp from the butter sauce and set aside.
Turn the heat down to medium and add in the tomato paste, mix until the paste has melted into the butter sauce. Now toss in the flour and mix to form a roux. Cook for just a few minutes, you do not want a raw flour flavor.
Once the roux is formed, slowly whisk in the heavy cream. Continue to whisk until all the cream is added and the mixture thickens. Turn heat to low and toss in all the cheese and keep stirring until the cheese is well incorporated and no longer stringy.
Reserve pasta water and drain the rest. Return pasta and pasta water into the pot and add in the creamy tomato alfredo sauce. Toss together until all the pasta is coated.
Get ready to serve the shrimp alfredo!
Finally, seperate the pasta onto dishes and add your shrimp evenly on top of each dish. Garnish pasta dishes with chopped up curly parsley, fresh grated parmesan cheese and lemon slices. Enjoy! Want more pasta recipes? Click here!
Tomato basil shrimp alfredo
- 16 oz shrimp pealed and deveined
- 16 oz thin spaghetti
- 2 tbsp salt for pasta water
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 6 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 32 oz heavy cream
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- Fresh chopped curly parsley for garnish
- freshly grated parmesan cheese for garnish
- Fresh sliced lemon slices for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add in salt and the pasta and cook according to box directions.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a pan over medium high heat. Add in garlic, red peppers, basil, shrimp and all dried ingredients and cook 2 to 3 mins per side depending on the size of the shrimp. Remove the shrimp from the butter sauce and set aside.
- Turn heat down to medium and stir in the tomato paste. Once the tomato paste is melted, add in the flour and stir until thickened.
- Add in the heavy cream and parmesan cheese and stir until cheese is melted and no longer stringy.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water and drain pasta. Return pasta to the pot and add in the sauce. Mix together until all the pasta is coated, add the shrimp on top. Garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese and serve!