Eating healthy can be a huge and difficult challenge for a lot of us. It seems that eating healthy can actually cost more then not eating healthy. With the prices of food rising, that makes it even more challenging to try to come up with clean eating recipes. Here I have developed a delicious and affordable chicken kale salad recipe with sweet potatoes and beans, that is extremely healthy for you. This salad has a high protein content, which is great for healthier bones and weight loss. Protein also helps boost you immunity and it is a stress reliever. It is high in antioxidants, fiber and it lowers cholesterol. It contains vitamins C and K. Believe it or not, this healthy salad with sweet potatoes and beans, also works as a detox.
Chicken and kale salad, what you need
- Chicken tenders shredded
- Olive oil
- Chicken seasoning
- Sweet potato pealed, cut in 1 inch cubes
- Olive oil
- Chick peas
- Great northern beans
- Kale bunch
- Mandarin oranges
- Plain Greek yogurt
- White wine vinegar
- Mandarin orange juice
Here is a list of ingredients you will need for this super healthy chicken and kale salad. If you are not a fan of everything on this list, we can simply substitute them! You can switch out kale for spinach! It is VERY important if you do switch kale for spinach, do NOT wilt the spinach in a pan. The spinach will wilt on its own as soon as you mix in the warm chicken and beans. Don’t like sweet potatoes? Simply switch it out for a acorn squash. Not a huge fan of mandarin oranges? Easy, switch it out for peaches! What about cashews? Pine nuts, almonds or even pistachios would be great on this salad.
Assemble that salad!
Start by pre heating your oven to 350 degrees. Toss the chicken tenders in salt, pepper and chicken seasoning. You can find chicken seasoning at the store in the spice aisle, or you can make your own with this recipe. Cut sweet potatoes in one inch cubes and toss with olive oil and salt, cook along side but seperate from the chicken for 30 mins or until tender. Cook the chicken for 40 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165 degrees.
Toast the cashews until golden brown. Add the dressing ingredients together and stir. Rip the kale leaves off the steams, then wash the kale well. In a large skillet over low heat, add the kale and toss until slightly wilted, this will take a few minutes. Remove from heat and add in the beans and the chick peas to warm. Shred your chicken and add to a large bowl with the kale. Add in warm beans and sweet potatoes and toss everything together. Top with mandarin oranges, toasted cashews and drizzle the dressing over the salad. Enjoy this chicken and kale salad recipe with family!
Want more healthy recipes? Try my foil pack rainbow trout recipe!
Chicken kale salad with sweet potatoes and beans
- 1 pound chicken tenders shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp chicken seasoning
- 1 sweet potato pealed, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 15.5 oz chick peas
- 15.5 oz great northern beans
- 1 kale bunch slightly, wilted
- 1/2 cup cashews toasted
- 15 oz mandarin oranges
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 5 oz mandarin orange juice
- 1 pinch of salt
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees. Add olive oil and chicken seasoning and toss the chicken tenders then bake for 40 minutes or until internal temp reads 165 degrees. Add oil to cubed sweet potatoes and cook along with the chicken but keep them seperate. Cook potatoes for 30 minutes and set aside. Shred the chicken and set aside.
- Rinse your kale and pat dry. Add to a heated pan for just a few minutes tossing constantly. You don't want to cook the kale, just wilt it ever so slightly. Set aside.
- Add chick peas and beans to a skillet on low heat. You only want to warm them.
- Toast the cashwes until slightly brown.
- Add chicken, kale, sweet potatoes, beans and chick peas to a large bowl. Top with mandarin oranges and toasted cashews then serve!
Leave a Reply